Sunday, October 31, 2004

Just as I promised......

Just as I promised, here is my summary of the first chapter of A Generous Orthodoxy. I like the book thus far. It is very engaging and interesting. However, I do not find McLaren as engaging as he normally is.

The first chapter is about the 7 Jesuses that he has known throughout his life. He chronicles them and presents them and what he learned from each one. He goes through the evangelical Jesus, the charismatic Jesus, the Catholic Jesus, the Eastern Orthodox Jesus, the liberal Protestant Jesus, the liberation Jesus, and the Anabaptist Jesus.

He presents the insights that he gained at these very different times of his life. He shows a few insights into each Jesus and shows the truths that he has learned from each one. He gives some very good remarks about each of these traditions and things that we can learn from them. I am sure that this is just the beginning and that is what excites me.

I didn't find this chapter, awe-inspiring but it was good, just not his usual self. I will continue on. I know his writing and I know that it will captivate me in the end.

1 comment:

Steve F. said...

I've heard this book recommended by sites like Emergent Village and Relevant magazine...once I get back to work and get some cash, I need to get it.

There's one you should also pick up..."Your God's Too Small," by JB Phillips. A contemporary of CS Lewis, he talks about the number of false images of God that people think they encounter (or which are being sold by less-than-faithful pastors or shepherds).

And if you enjoyed "Ragamuffin Gospel," you need to pick up Manning's other classic work, "Abba's Child." More than worth the money I paid for it...