Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Music.....

Music has always been an important part of my life. Actually, very important. No I don't play it. Well, unless you count my stereo in the car. I tried to learn guitar once. And that was all it took for me to see that it just wasn't my thing. I have no skills when it comes to music of any kind. I can't even sing worth a flip. When I sing, I soundlike Mickey Mouse and a chipmunk on crack. Seriously. It's real bad.

Anyways, growing up, my greatest influence was 2Pac. I know, I know. You are shaking your head thinking how could I get wrapped up in that "garbage" as you would call it. Actually, I was not wrapped up in any garbage. I was wrapped up in a poet whose words were as authentic as his tatoos. I began to understand my life better by listening to 2pac. Although I wasn't really a thug, I felt I had a lot in common with Pac. My life could be summarized in many of his things and his words became my words.

I still read articles about 2pac. I still read his old lyrics. They move me. They cause life to spring up in me and remember the feelings and thoughts of old. Amazing how music can do that.

Lately, I have been thinking about what would describe me? What song would fit my present situation. I remembered this song. So I looked up the lyrics and lived out my pain through the words. Now, I don't want this to be my song, but too many times, it has been. It almost fits me perfect. Except, I don't have the hope that this song projects. I am a little more hopeless. But that's ok. Things have to get better, don't they?

I really wish I could claim some other songs. Jeremy Camp has two songs that I heard today that I wish I could claim as my own. Walk By Faith and I Still Believe are two songs that I would love to be able to sing and to live. Songs that I wished resembled my present state. But unfortunately, I can't claim these songs. Not yet at least.

My goal is to put up some of my favorite 2pac lyrics/sayings and maybe put up the first poem I ever learned.

until then..........

1 comment:

Steve F. said...

I'm gonna have to call you on your self-abuse about singing. 99% of us - even the guys with guitars who can croon out great songs that I know here at school - think their voices are good. In fact, the ones who "know" they sound good are the ones I least want to listen to. But, having had several authentically tone-deaf friends, I also know what *that* is like, too.

I have to admit, I'd never have imagined that poem you posted was something from 2Pac. Gonna have to check more of his stuff out. Shows even an old dog like can learn some new stuff...

Back 25 years ago, the folk group Peter, Paul & Mary wrote a song I think you'll identify with:

Music speaks louder than words -
It's the only thing that the *whole* world listens to,
Music speaks louder than words -
When we sing, people understand.

Check out the rest of the lyrics here:
http://www.peterpaulandmary.com/music/f-13-04.htm
(Proof that just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not true.)

I love "Valleys Fill First," and I identify. If you have not heard Casting Crown's "The Voice of Truth," you need to let me send it to you. Powerful, powerful stuff.

One of the reaons I love certain kinds of Christian music is that it echoes my own experience - or it draws me on in the directions I would choose. Sounds like that's something we share - which is why I'm ever so grateful for voices like yours in the blogiverse.