Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Don't Vote!

Mark Noll wrote an article None of the Above: Why I am not voting for president for the The Christian Century Magazine. This is a very interesting article. One that I find myself greatly agreeing with. It is written by Dr. Mark Noll, proffesor at Wheaton College and one of the leading evangelical thinkers of our time.

Basically what Noll is saying is that he can't see himself voting for any of the candidates at this point. He finds that his "main" issues to be of paramount importance to him and none of the candidates agree with him on these. So his conclusion is to basically....not vote.

Now I don't know how much I agree with this approach. Mostly because I wouldn't know how to repsond to the people that asked me about whether or not I voted and because I feel like I am giving up my right to vote. But then again I guess I could respond by telling them that my vote was a private matter and I could think of my right as including not to vote as well.

Anyway it is something to think about and read. I found Noll's views to be pretty much the same as mine. I am Pro-Life and all the other typical "conservative" issues (morally at least) But at the same time, I have a desire for a better economy in this country and around the world. (Not just for me but for those who are poor and living in poverty or those that are struggling)

I really liked this article. Makes one think.

No comments: