Monday, October 11, 2004

The Christian Ghetto. You gotta love it. I have been a resident of the ghetto for far too long. I eat, sleep, dream - Christian. I have NO contact whatsoever with the outside world. Well, that is not true. I do have some contact with those that don't follow Christ. And to be honest, it is some of those relationships (as minute as they are) that are exciting and thrilling. That is why I loved Upward basketball so much. It was an opportunity for me to get out and meet community folks at least 2-3 times a week. Saturdays were awesome because I got to "work" the crowd and make some relationships with those that were there.

Its kinda hard to do evangelism when you live in a bubble. That's right, for the most part we live in a bubble. Lets take me for example. Up until Oct. 17, my life consists of sleeping, breathing and eating in Pellville. I get up, go to the office (which is at the church) and then go home. No interaction whatsoever. Now that is nobody's fault except my own. But outside interaction is not readily available. You have to pursue it.

We all are very similar. Oustide of our Christian friends, we rarely have any. We do "Christian" things like aChristian bowling league or we have "fellowships" or other church related events. Our whole life revolves around living in the Christian Ghetto or Christian bubble, whichever you prefer.

We put on our church t-shirt, get in our bumber sticker/fish bearing vehicle, listen to the latest in CCM (contemporary Christian music for the uninitiated) or Ray Boltz, meet up with our Christian friends, to go to a church softball game where after playing we will go to the local "Christian cafe" or restraunt where we will sit and "fellowship" for hours.

We pray without ceasing that God would remove us from the pagans that we work with. The ones that do nothing but cuss and talk about their beer and women. The ones that are desperately in need of a change. BUT....we want out. We don't want to stay. We want to find an environment where everybody knows and loves Christ....an environment where we can "fellowship" all day long.

Now do I think it is bad to work at a Christian dentists' office? NO. I don't think it is wrong at all. However, I do feel like we are in the wrong whenever we pursue employment based on wheter or not it is a Christian place. I also think it is wrong for us to leave our places of employment when God has clearly called us to be a witness to our coworkers.

The Christian Ghetto .....its not the place for me. God has called me to go into the world, not hide from it through Christian schools and Christian organizations. He has called me to go into the world and be a light for His glory. It is hard for ME to be a light in the world when I am not in it. Just as I don't shine a flashlight outside my house to see in my house, nor should I expect to make a difference in the world living in the bubble.