Thursday, October 07, 2004

Outside?

I think WE have a problem. We have a problem of looking at the outside of a person instead of the inside. You see, I can say "we" here because I too am in this group. I look at "looks."

Drew: Hello. I am a outside looker.
Group: Hello Drew

Seriously, I look at the "looks" of people and judge them accordingly. I know its wrong and it is something that God has been impressing on my heart. I see someone and think, "there is no way that person is a Christian." But why? Why do I look at someone and judge them accordingly.

First it implies that there is a right "look." Secondly, it endorses the world's perspective on things. Last, it shows how truly immature and fallen that I am.

Lord help me.

I don't want to be focused on looks. I don't want to judge a book by its cover. I want to get to know the person. I don't want to see tattoos and think that they are "lost" (gotta love that word, with all of its stereotypes) because of some ink on their arms. I don't want to see piercings and think that they are not followers of Christ.

Christ has no uniform look for His followers. They are different. Just like the song says, "red, yellow, black and white - they are precious in His sight."

I am learning, albeit slowly. What can I do about people judging looks? Well, the first thing I can do is search my heart and make sure that I rid it of all unrighteousness.

That is something we all can do. Search our hearts and rid them of unrighteousness.

I hope people don't judge me by my looks. I know that I probably don't always "look" right.

No comments: