Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Friends

I got an email that Levi sent out today to all of his friends. Well, probably not all, but you know what I mean. It got me to thinking about my friends. Or should I say "friends."

For the most part, my life has been filled with an attitude that 2Pac had when he said something like, "sometimes your friends are the ones you have to be close because they turn out to be your enemies."

I have found this true in many cases and situations. Its a shame too. One should at least be able to trust his friends shouldn't he? I would think so. But sometimes you can't.

I have, through the years, found many "true" friends. Ones that I feel like truly care for me (or for me and Resa). I know back in the 'Ville....there is Leslie Riggs. We have been friends for, wow, its been around 10 years now. Ever since my freshman year, me and Leslie have been friends. Although I look at him as more than a friend....more like a brother or I don't know....just whatever is more than a friend. He has stuck by me through it all....even when I was a jerk. He was there for me and hopefully, I was there for him whenever he needed me. Still to this day, I know I can depend on Les. And I hope he knows that he can depend on me.

Then there are some of my former youth - Matt, Jake, and JJ. I consider them more like friends than former youth now. I don't see JJ very much, but Resa and I have considered him as our adopted son. Matt and Jake, "the boys" as my wife calls them, are away at school, but I would still consider us as pretty close friends. I enjoy hanging out with them. Matt and I share a love for writing. I am actually planning on going and seeing him tomorrow. I am grateful for their friendship and support!

On through the years has seen many friends in my life. Michael. Jeff. Brian. (I hope I spelled that right...you would think I know how.) Many, many others.

Now I am surrounded by some good friends....ones I know that are there for me, both in person and online. Chris is one of those. He and I act very similarly and always have a ball whenever we get "goofy." Chris is going through a hard time, dealing with cancer. He has been there for me and hopefully I will be there for him when he needs me. Then there's Nathan. Nathan and I got close, prolly, because of Upward. But now, we remain strong friends and I know I can depend on him. He can depend on me.

Then there are my online buddies....Michael down in Mayfield...and Levi in Tennessee. And Jim Tom. He has really been there through all this and has been concerned for me. He has gone out of his way for me. I know he is concerned because others have told me that he was. He is sincere in his care.

I am glad that I can say that I have all these friends.

But then there are those who have pretended to be my friend. Those that are out for no one but themselves and care for no one but themselves. These are the ones, far too many, who have my attitude tainted. All of these "friends" make me not want to trust anyone.

That's a shame.

Then there is Resa. She is the epitome of what a friend should be. She is my everything and the one I know I can trust. I love her so much. Today is our anniversary. 3 years. It has been the best 3 years of my life, spending it next to my best friend and wife.

Happy Anniversary!


No comments: